With over 60 year’s history, Europcar continues to expand to be one of the largest car rental networks in the world.
Europcar is the European leader in passenger car and light utility vehicle rentals. The Europcar network addresses the needs of the domestic and international traveler whether for business or leisure throughout Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and Asia-Pacific.
Europcar locations are managed by Europcar subsidiaries, franchisees and their agents.
Europcar is founded in Paris
Renault purchases Europcar
Creation of subsidiaries in Belgium, Germany, Holland and Switzerland
1974 – 1982
- Acquisition of Budget in Italy: Corporate development in Spain, UK, Portugal and creation of Europcar International
- The Europcar network includes 212 branches in France, 743 in Europe, Africa and the Middle East, with a fleet of 9,000 vehicles and more than 1,000 employees serving an increasingly international clientele.
- To reinforce its image, Europcar launches into sponsoring sports events. The company sponsors a Renault Formula 1 team and the Paris-Dakar race. Europcar also ventures into other events such as golf tournaments, horseracing and marathons.
Wagon-Lits purchases Europcar and sells 50% of the share to Volkswagen
Europcar turns 40 years old. The orange branding is changed to green, the color of hope and a symbol of unity for Europcar. The characters are white on a green background, again in italics. The décor in the branches and the staff uniforms are redesigned.
Accor acquires Wagon-Lits including its 50% share of Europcar.
The Swiss and Dutch subsidiaries are taken over by franchisees.
- Europcar launches an innovative Online Reservation System via the internet in February.
- Volkswagen AG becomes sole shareholders in Europcar, demonstrating its faith in the ability of the Europcar board and showing commitment in developing as a lifestyle company.
- Creation of Europcar Asia Pacific covering 9 counties. Europcar opens in South America and announces the introduction of special assistance provided to all its franchisees in the region for sales, marketing, and fleet management.
Europcar signs the United Nations Global Compact launched by Kofi Annan at the World Economic Forum in Davos, and adopts the ten fundamental values of the pact relating to Human Rights, labour standards, the environment, and the fight against corruption.
- Acquisition of Europcar by Eurazeo and implementation of new Business Plan, build up strategy, efficiency plans, working capital optimization...
- Acquisition of Keddy (Belgium) and Ultramar (Spain) - Partnership with Mazda in Japan
- Acquisition of the European businesses of Vanguard (National Car Rental and Alamo Rent A Car) and Transatlantic Alliance with Vanguard - Acquisition of Betacar (Balearic and Canary Islands) - Europcar is the first company to provide a 100% non-smoking fleet in France.
- Acquisition of ECA Car Rental, Europcar's Master Franchisee in Australia & New Zealand - Strategic Alliance with Enterprise to form the World's Largest Car Rental Network.
- Partnerships signed successively with Nissan and Renault to market electric vehicles by 2010/2011 and advance zero-emission mobility on a global scale.
- First 500 electric vehicles pre-ordered from Renault for delivery in Europe's largest cities from the 3rd quarter of 2011.
- Europcar deploys a mobile booking service, allowing customers to locate the closest branch and book a vehicle using their mobile phone. The innovative service, which provides customers with greater mobility, is operational on Europcar’s entire international network.
Europcar is voted sponsor of the year, thanks to its involvement in cycling. Daimler and Europcar sign an agreement to extend Car2Go throughout Europe.
Europcar revamps its brand image with a new slogan, “Moving your way” and a new logo. Moving Your Way conveys the company’s commitment to support its customers’ mobility needs throughout their lives. The website www.europcar.com is redesigned to incorporate the new logo and slogan, with technical improvements also made.
Success of Europcar's listing. Our history and track record convinced a very broad pool of French and international investors to join us in the next stage of our business development.
Europcar acquires Fox Rent A Car- an independent US based rental car company. This acquisition enable Europcar to become a truly global mobility service company and for the first time it enabkes Europcar to have a direct presence in the US Market.